Friday, May 20, 2011

Blyde

Holidays Part Deux

After our Cape Town adventure, we had a couple days of work, and then Easter vacay, aka Spring Break... well I guess in this case, Fall Break.  Fall Break 2011!  What what!

I started my break with a nice little beach weekend with the girls, which included Claire, Angie, and their PCV friend Ryan (girl Ryan).  It was good times.  A little horseback riding, good food, drinking and dancing, LOTS of dancing, with LOTS of different characters, some solid beach time, homemade Easter brunch with mango mimosas, girl talk, some solid cultural exchanges with Afrikaaners, some late night bike riding, you know, typical Easter weekend.  The motto of the weekend became: "St. Lucia... things get really weird, really fast" so you can imagine the general gist of the weekend.  Good times had by all.

The second part of the week, my roommates and I trekked up to Blyde River Canyon, the largest green canyon in the world.  It's about an eight hour drive from Mtuba, Northwest from here, so inland, near Nelspruit.  We did some badass hikes and saw some amazing sites.  I'll let the pictures do the talking (Thanks to Jason for a lot of the people pics - apparently I'm not too social of a photographer).

If you look reeaaallll close, you can see the boys in the middle right of the pic

Full view of Lisbon Falls

Potholes
Absolutely gorgeous rock faces, reminded me of cubism...

And they just go on forever and ever...

The waterfall where we had lunch on our hike Day #1
Soaking our tootsies
The boys being, well, um boys....
As I mentioned, the hikes were badass... aka not easy

The three rondovals, one of the most spectacular views of my life, a photo cannot do it justice

I'm queen of the world!

Pre-hike - notice how excited I am.

The waterfall where we took a mid-hike dip.  Coldest water I think I've ever swam in.  No joke.  Colder than the Pacific.





Post-hike

Cheers world!

No comments:

Post a Comment