Monday, September 27, 2010

Amanzi=Water

 Today was a lot of driving!  Ish! (That is the Zulu equivalent of the Yiddish Yeesh! or the classic American Geez!  And I have wholeheartedly adopted it as my own)  We were doing site visits for the OneSite clinics to make sure that the locations the DOH had arranged met the criteria and had the necessities, including space, electricity, water, sanitation, etc.  In classic public health style it was over a two hour drive each way for a ten minute scouting trip around the grounds.  Totally efficient and productive.  Right...  Whatever, though it wasn't riveting or anything, it was nice to get out of the office and see another part of the area.  Gugu, who runs health education and has an incredible, huge smile and personality to match, insisted that on the way back that we stop at the local dam and take a picture, humoring the tourist in me.  Thanks Gugu!  Great photos!






Btw, that's Thuli and our faithful driver Bheki checking out the edge with me.  It was really beautiful and definitely a different part of the country up in the hills compared to our little flat and dry Mtubatuba.  The crazy part is that here we are looking at all this water so close to our home, and our town is in a major water crisis right now.  Some of the villages have been without water for weeks.  Apparently this water though is heading for Zambia, a landlocked country north of us.  Hmmm... there seems to be some failed logic here...

Ok, I know that's a less than exciting post, but I HAD to put these pictures up because the whole team took the time out to pull over and make something that is part of their everyday special for me.  What awesome friends!

And it's a nice change of pace from all that jargon and serious talk of yesterday's post, just pretty things to look at. :)  Tomorrow I will start living up to my promises of things to come.  I think I will start with the awesome hilarity of Heritage Day!  Wooo!  Get excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment