Monday, September 20, 2010

Asani!

I'm despicably exhausted and quite sore from my run yesterday, so I'm gonna make this quick.  Thought I would continue with some of the Zulu lessons with some of the critical phrases I've learned:

Asani!- Let's go! -> I asked for this one cause I kept finding myself calling out "Vamanos!" and then realized Spanish wasn't really so applicable here.  Oops...

Once I seemed to get that down, they felt the next logical phrase for me was:

Balega!- Run! Run away! -> Thanks guys.  Always looking out for my safety!  I love how I'm like teach me how to say "Come on everybody! Let's go have some fun!" more or less and they are like ok, but then you have to learn how to say/understand "Danger!  Run for your life!".  Way to be positive.

But that's kind of been the trend here.  I feel more than safe, like a lot safer than a lot of other countries I've worked in, but apparently it is far from that.  I am basically not allowed to go anywhere by myself and people are constantly concerned about where I'm going, what I'm doing, and how I'm going about it.  Like the whole staff was so concerned about me sleeping in the guest house alone for the first week, even though we live behind a locked gate, have a guard patrolling at night, and a guard dog that sleeps outside my door.  I feel incredibly loved and cared for, but I can't help but look around and am unclear exactly where this danger lies.  But, I know it's real.  South Africa is the rape and murder capital of the world.  There is no questioning these statistics.  It's real, it happens.

I remember feeling this way the last time I was here as well.  A little perplexed about the almost paranoia about the safety here, but not willing to challenge the standard due to the severity of the potential consequences.  Like it's hard to believe it's that dangerous, but you end up being like, well, if you say so...  because it's not something you mess around with, in all honesty.  The risk is not worth it.  And as I said, it is real.  It's just not obvious in any sense, like I have felt/seen it in other countries.  I imagine it will become more real as I spend more time here, becoming a part of the community, and these statistics will literally be closer to home and touch me more personally.

For now, I have my own personal bodygaurd Tim, aka the roommate/car deliverer/soccer player/running partner. :) And we have Shrek, our loyal gaurd dog, and our bad ass ride to get us around safely and securely.  On that note, I think we have to name the car.  Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment