Sunday, September 12, 2010

Shrek in the Mtuba

So I'm here!  In Mtubatuba! 

Now that I have had a second to regroup, I've had a chance to reflect on how I had forgotten how overwhleming the first couple hours in any foreign place can be.  My whole airport experience went so much smoother today since I had a chance to have a better grip on my surroundings and what needed to get done and the best way to go about that.  Some things I remembered about Africa today: 1. they do things on the left, including escalators 2. personal space issues.  It's good to be back!  Other cool realization of the day: I'm managing to skip winter for a year!  What what!  I'm a freaking genius!  I arrived to beautiful warm weather in Mtuba today, marking the beginning of Spring and will be leaving here just as Winter comes again to return to US summer.  This may be one of my best feats of all time.

I met some very nice Afrikaners on my way, as always.  And, as always, they were very kind and concerned about my safety.  A fun little tidbit: one man's son is studying in the US and apparently has a lovely American nurse girlfirend who is training to be a "theater sister" aka an OR scrub nurse.  I kinda loved that translation.

Ok and the situation here.  So I'm living at La Colline, the beautiful plantation that my boss rents out, in their guest house. It is pretty awesome digs and includes our own pool.  I will be sharing the place with other volunteers working here.  There are a couple up in the air, but one guy who works with Grassroots Soccer is definitely arriving on Wed to stay the year, aka my new best friend if he likes it or not.  We are responsible for feeding ourselves which should be an adventure.


BUT, the best ammenity in the house has to be Shrek, our own personal house dog!  Shrek was here last time I was here, and we were besties, and now apparently a new dog at the main house has been snippy with him so he has opted to start living with the cool kids.  He is a sweetheart and just wants some loving.  He is also a giant German Shephard farm dog/guard dog so could kick some ass and makes me feel very nice and safe.  It's also super nice to have some company in this big house before the other roomies get here.


Ok, I think that's it for now.  I will continue to introduce you to all to the characters in my life here through pictures and tales, but I thought Shrek was a good start. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment