Thursday, November 11, 2010

PRADO!

So, there's good news and bad news.  Which do you want first?

I also go with the bad news first, get it over with quick, like a band aid, and then finish with something sweet.

Ok, bad news: the big purple bus is on the outs.  Not sure if it's gonna make it...  I know, sad. :(  Tim and I are keeping our hopes up, but I think we both know that the chance is slim that she makes it.  Our baby!

So, what could possibly be the good news?  Well, while we got a ride with Mike and Christine on Monday, they went to Jo'burg for a few days leaving us stranded, but, oh wait!  What is this?!  Mike is going to lend us his Prado so we can get to work and such?!  Oh hells yes!  Why is this so exciting, you ask?   Well because it has automatic capabilities, which means little old me can drive it.  Woot woot!  And Tim humored me the last few days, letting me do all the driving.  I have to say being able to drive gives me a huge dose of independence which is incredibly refreshing.

Driving here has also been my first time driving on the left.  Surprisingly easy.  Having the driver's seat on the right actually makes it amazingly natural.  I wouldn't say I'm quite ready for major city driving, but feeling pretty goods on the rough roads of Mtubatuba.  Oh, that's the other thing that's supes fun about driving here, a lot of dirt roads, four wheeling and such, and it's been especially exciting with all the rain.

Though, I think my favorite part of the adventure was getting to flash my hazards after someone moved towards the shoulder to let me pass. Woo!  Now I'm a real South African!  I thought I would take this opportunity to talk about some of the other interesting little quirks of South African driving.  Let's start with people flashing their brights as a "You're welcome!" in response to your "Thank you!" hazards flash.  Tim and I discussed how we should flash our hazards again as a "No! YOU'RE welcome!". :)  Flashing brights means another thing when you see them coming from an oncoming car.  In that case they are warning you of something ahead, for example, an accident.  But, usually, they are warning you of a speed trap, which is amazingly awesome.  It's a total "Fight the man!" move.  Everybody speeds and everybody is in support of it, including the slow drivers, except for the mofo police.  But, don't worry, we look out for each other, we got each others back.  I love it!

Though, the best part may be how the police manage a speed trap.  And yes, we have some personal experience with this.  Don't judge.  A speed trap comes in two forms.  First, there is the guy standing with a camera who snaps your photo and then sends the ticket, well I suppose the government sends you the ticket. Kind of like what we have with red lights and I think also on some highways.  But these are manned cameras, not automated.  Anything to create a job and keep one more person employed.  And you would think they would take advantage of them being people operated and therefore mobile.  But, no.  They are always in the same spot, staking people out.  So, you learn where they are and just slow down.  Slash people flash their brights.  Clearly these speed traps are real effective.

Now the second form is the best form.  Here they stand on the side of the road, and if you are speeding, which I am pretty convinced they mainly judge subjectively just by the looks of it, they stop you.  Now how do they stop you if they are standing out on the side of the road, you ask?  Do they jump into their badass squad car and chase after you?  Oh no, my friends.  Much, much better.  They literally step out into the middle of the road and stand at attention with their hand out while your vehicle is hurling at them at ridiculous speeds (hence why they feel the need to stop you).  Yes, that's right.  They just stand right in front of your car, right in the middle of your lane.  Now you pray you aren't going too fast and that your brakes are in good enough condition so that you can stop in time, because otherwise, if you can't stop, you will more than likely kill a policeman, which can't be good.  I had quite the scare the first time I witnessed it.  I wanted to just shake the police officer, "Are you out of your mind?!  Didn't your mother ever tell you not to step in front of a moving car?!"  I have to say the police here are pretty used to life-threatening activities with all the violent crime and what not, so this cheating death thing is probably just old hat for them.

And now, Mike and Christine are back, so no more Prado. :(  Until next time, Prado...  Now there is nothing to dull the pain of the big purple bus...  So sad!  But, we will always have the memories!  I will be sure to keep you posted on the prognosis of our little purple bubby!

No comments:

Post a Comment