Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Richard....

So I guess it's about time that I introduce our new roommate, being as she's been here for almost 4 weeks and we have ANOTHER new roommate coming in today, so I have to get her out the way before I can introduce this new guy.  Way to make my life difficult Lorraine.  Oh yeah, her name is Lorrie, not Richard.

To punish her for being such an inconvenience I am going to thoroughly embarrass her in tune with our boss.  To begin with, we need a picture, right?  And the only pictures of the lovely lady that I currently have access to are from Google images.  Because, yes, you get 39,300 results in 0.53 seconds if you Google image my roommate Lorrie Fair.  Baller.  The first one that comes up:
So adorable!  How can you not love this face!
And then another one of my favorites:
Yes, that's her celebrating winning the Women's World Cup in 1999.  Booya.  She also has a few Olympics under her belt with a couple gold medals and a silver.  No big deal.  Brush her shoulder off.  So what is she doing being the roommate of little old me (and Tim) in South Africa?  She works in sports and development and is managing a project with my organization building soccer fields that are going to be partnered with providing water, sanitation, and gardens, as well as starting youth soccer leagues.  Pretty bad ass.

To top it off she is also one of the coolest, most laid back people I've ever met.  Minus when we are working out together and she kicks my ass.  With the best intentions of course.  She is also a NorCal girl so you gotta love her.  The three of us really haven't stopped laughing since she got here.  You would think we had all been besties for life, no big deal.

And then we are swapping stories, like your best black out drunk story.  Tim and I share, and we're all laughing, and then it's Lorrie's turn, and we are halfway through her story when "And then the next morning I had to be on Good Morning America..."  Um, pardon?  Who's drunk stories include Good Morning America?!  Much less being on it?!  Lorrie Fair, that's who.  She pretty instantly made Tim and my list for our NGO dream team.

And if she wasn't enough good times herself, she acquired a new addition for our household a week ago:
Meet Ukuthula (Thula for short), which means "peace" in Zulu.  I call her Runty or Nunu, obviously.  Half lab (yellow lab, strangely) and half Rhodesian Ridgeback.  Probably the most adorable thing ever.  A couple more cute puppy pictures for your enjoyment:

Ooooooh!  Sooooo cute!

So basically we've been having a whole lot of fun here in Mtuba!  Welcome Looooorrrrrriiiiiiieeeee!  And Thulula!

And the new roommate coming today?  Her boyfriend Jason who's going to be helping her on her project.  Another West coaster, so must be cool. (Poor Connecticut boy Tim will be thoroughly outnumbered.  At least it will balance the gender gap for him.)  Can't wait to meet him!  Pre-emptive welcome to Jason!

Oh, and I will explain Richard later.  Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment