Friday, February 4, 2011

Vilanculos aka Vil

Part 4: Finally, the beach!

After not too bad of a bus ride we made it to Vilanculos and the beach.  Woot woot!





Yeah, be jealous...

Though we had seen and experienced a lot over our almost five days of travel, it really felt like our vacation had started when we arrived in Vil.  It didn't hurt that the check-in desk for our hostel was also the bar.  Sweetness.  This ended up to be the trend with the rest of the hostels we stayed at.  I like.

The main activity during our stay in Vil was to get the girls scuba certified.
Ballin'!!!! aka Pool Skillz

I realize I haven't formally introduced my travel partners.  There's Claire, who I have talked about plenty in my past posts, and two of her friends from Peace Corps, Peach and Jill, who are posted in the north of the country near Nelspruit.  Both are West coast girls, so you gotta love them.  Together they kept me thoroughly entertained throughout our adventures.

The sweet side of the scuba certification deal for me was that they were getting certified at a fancy pants resort and they let me just chill out and use their private beach and pool and take advantage of their bar.  Hells to the yeah.  Vacation here I come.  I have to say the girls were slightly jealous.

I met some very friendly Zimbabweans who I ended up hanging out with for the next couple of days.  They were semi-locals.  Transplants who worked there part time and spent much of their holidays there.  Things to know about Zimbabweans:

1) They are incredibly hospitable people, even beyond their own country.  Basically, they are hospitable about Africa in general.  They want everyone to have the same love and passion for it as they do.
2) They drink.  Man, can they drink.  Day and night.  And they want you to drink with them.  Just fun and friendly people.  Always a good time.

So my couple days involved a lot of day drinking, shooting the shit, learning about cricket, eating, and shit talking.  It was marvelous.  These are my type of people.  Oh and we saw a double rainbow.

The storm before the rainbows



Yes, I went a little crazy with the double rainbow photos.  I was really excited and a little drunk.

I got pretty excited about it, and I'm not really sure it translated to the Zimbabweans.  I'm not sure the double rainbow video and autotune remix have made it over here.  Though by this point, they were already thoroughly accustomed to and entertained by my quirkiness and so I think they just cracked it up to that.

A couple of my Zim friends.  Opting to focus on their phones instead of my insanity during my rapture with the double rainbow.

Our third and last day in Vil, the girls were doing their open water certification dives and I got to come along and do some diving myself.  Woo!  Apparently though we did not pick the best day.  It was some of the toughest diving conditions I have experienced, crazy currents and bad visibility.  It was definitely a workout.  I felt bad for the girls who had to do their skills out there in that.  You could definitely see the potential of the diving there.  Definitely a reason to go back.  And we did get to hang out on a ridiculously beautiful deserted island for our lunch break between dives.  Also something I would do more of if I went back.

Pre-dive



Another reason to be jealous...

Passed out mid-dives

Post-dive nitrogen sickness
That evening we celebrated their certification with some drinks and dessert with some of my Zim friends and then rested up for more travel and more beach :)

No comments:

Post a Comment