Friday, August 26, 2011

Letters To Slave Broker Ziba Oakes from A. J. Mc Elveen



In these letters to slave broker Ziba Oakes, his correspondent, A. J. Mc Elveen, reports on the men, women, and children he sent his partner for sale. Ages, conditions, occupations, height, weight, and prices are duly recorded. There are also mentions of hunting down a young fugitive with bloodhounds. Once captured, he too would be sold in the long-distance trade.


A. J. McElveen to Z.B. Oakes,

Sumterville, S.C., 7 August 1853.



your draft and letters was duly Recd this Evening I am Glad to here the negros arrived Safe but I am Sorry to See they did not Pay a better profit I Thought Sure primus Sam & James was Good for three hundred Dollars profit Such Boys ought to Bring the heist market Price it is very Seldom I can Get Such Stock. do the Best you can I cant complaine I am Sorry I failed in Getting the 2 fellows one the title is not Good the other his master Backed out as usual By not having the money to Plank down. they are one Runaway which I am Sure of Getting his master put out word if he would come to me he would let him off I Give him until Tuesday to come to me if he don’t come I will have the Blood hound after him as Soon as I can Get there from Darlington the Boy is willing to Go with me he is no1 20 years weight a bout 175 near Six feet. look for more Stock for I am Sure to have Some Soon



I have Emly yet I hope to Sell her to morrow if not I have a chance to Exchange her for a Boy as Soon as I have time to See the Gentleman I have Bin So Busy I could not Get to See him. The weather is So disagreeable I can hardly Get a bout and my horse are near done down we have Rain Every day and it is Schorching hot. Give my Respects to the famly let me Know how they all are



A.J. McElveen to Z.B. Oakes,

Darlington Court House, S.C., 29 August 1853.



I Send you two negros By Rail Road. Bill and Ann. I hope they will Reach Safe and please you, also, Suit the market. I think them very likely and consequentely will meet Ready Sail. I think the price very high I trust you will make a fare profit on Them I paid $900 for Ann and $850 for Bill Boath Good field hands the Boy a first Rate Plowmon. I came over here on the cars yesterday and had ten miles to travel By Stage. I will Return in the morning to Sumterville and Send the negros to charleston. Emly is on trial and if the lady is pleased with her, I will Get a Boy 14 years of age likely the Brother of Betsy. I will pay $150. between the too that will bring the Boy to $800. if the trade is made I will Get the Boy in the morning and Send him down also. I am looking for negros in I am told they will be Some offered me to day if I Get any more I will try and Send them down Immediately. I will be down the 7 th Sept



P.S. I Saw the lady Mrs. Blackwell who wishes to Sell 4 or 5 negros She has promised to waite until I Return from charleston before She Sells I will leave [ ]



A.J. McElveen to Z.B. Oakes,

Sumter Court House, S.C., 30 August 1856.



yours came Safe to hand few days a go. I have bin busy Engaged hunting the Boy Joes for ten days. I cannot find him. I have the Blood hounds. we have lot one & Run them hours he had free pass. I am fearful I will have hard time to Get him or Considerable trouble to find him I think he is in Santee Swamp. I have good many looking out for him. I want to buy a few negros before I Go to montgomry however I will come down in Sept if the fever will allow me. I would like to See you before I leave do Right me a bout the fever if you please as I don’t wish to be in any danger. we have had only one case of fever on the place and very light do let me hear from the market also. the Baby – all is well Excuse this as I am in hurry to take the hounds to R.R.



Original letters courtesy of the The Trustees of the Boston Public Library

No comments:

Post a Comment